Practical English: Speaking and Writing (2-Week Program)
This program focuses primarily on speaking and listening skills. The curriculum is designed to give students the tools and confidence needed to interact with native speakers in English.
DURATION: 2 weeks
COST: Contact Dr. Luis Arevalo, email@example.com or 435-652-7877
DATES: July 1-13, 2018; July 15-27, 2018
- Room and food for all 12 days. Students will have accommodations on the DSU campus. Meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) will usually be provided at facilities on campus.
- 9 days of ESL classes (5 hours per day) All courses taught by full-time DSU professors.
- 2 days of cultural immersion/tourism (see information on this in the 4-week program above)
- 2 free days
The program is equivalent in length and rigor of a 2-credit university course class.
Minimum English level: Intermediate-Low on the ACTFL scale. The level will be assessed before arrival.
- Develop competence and confidence in handling day-to-day social interactions in English, such as introductions, discussing family and home life, daily activities and interests, and events from the past.
- Improve accuracy in pronunciation and grammar to ensure student speaking and writing is comprehensible.
- Increase knowledge of American culture and society in order to interact effectively with Americans.
- Participate in experiential activities that require interaction with the local community.
- Enjoy weekend excursions to national parks and several cultural activities.
Week #1 Introduction to the skills covered in the courses. Become familiar with the structure of academic writing and presentations.
Week #2 Produce a short but complete academic essay. Develop and give short oral presentations based on research projects.
Contact Dr. Scott Miles for academic content information. firstname.lastname@example.org 435-879-4381